DMiP Lecture 7 – Motion (paths, tweens and particles)

Motion

Our latest program to add to the list of DMiP skill sets, is Apples Motion, which is part of the Final Cut Studio.

Amazingly Motion solves many of the problems I have been trying to work out in DVP, such as how to get a realistic fire effect inside a building.

I opened up Motion and was greeted by the start screen.  It allows you to continue a previously began project or begin anew, and thats not the best thing.

“Welcome to Motion”

Not only is the program polite, but its pretty too.

The next step was to set up the size and aspect ratio for my new project, DV Pal being the obvious choice, and it handily comes with 250 frames as a preset….not really sure how to change that though.

After setting the options up I was ready to begin playing with particles in Motion.  Even the blank document looks good, simple but good.

In the library tab at the side, that’s where the magic is hidden.  After selecting the option for particle emitters I browsed through the categories and looked at the previews and selected one that looked interesting.

I inserted two into the scene and set to trying to work out how to tween the ethereal flame particle generator across the bottom of the workspace.

After much computer choke I decided to remove the etheral flame generator and just work with one for now.  I found out how to tween however, and by opening the keyframe editor I managed to set up a slow transform to make the whole image slowly shrink over the 250 frames.

I then exported my finished experiment and uploaded it to youtube to show off in detail the awesomeness and simplicity of Motion.

I then created another file and repeated most of the steps to try out something a bit different.  I created paths for the motion tween to follow and chose a star particle generator in an attempt to show a sort of fairy/shooting star flying around the scene.

The red lines in this image are the path and the red dots are the key frames, one created per frame.

This was the end result.

After completing these two and being rightfully awed by the power of this simple but beautiful program, I got on with some work.

Sari and the Alligators

My other task for this lecture was piece together a movie from still images, using a pre recorded audio track, provided by one Richard Jackson, and do something interesting with the still images.

I began by simply setting up the audio track in Final Cut Pro, and added in the still images into the correct time sequence, setting up the timing to be correct.  I then added a plain white matte to the layer underneath the still images so that when I moved or shrank them the background would be the same colour.

I then set about setting up some movement in the images that I thought would benifit from some camera panning.  I did this by setting keyframes once again and manually moving the image from point A to B.  While this method may not be mathematiclly perfect, I find it faster and easier.  I then did the same with rotation and resizing, creating some zoom effects where needed.  Finnaly I added text into areas that I felt needed it, applying some transform keyframes again to get the desired effect.

After I had done this I exported the movie and uploaded it to youtube.

This is my final result.

Advertisements

About opinionatedalex

Less opinionated than one might think.
This entry was posted in Digital Media in Practice and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s